Monday, June 27, 2011

Experiencing Religion.

Every morning, Chaitanya begins the day with the same prayer. I have no idea what it means, but it's actually a nice way to ease into my day. I will try and get the translation soon. For now, I have managed to record it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2fe5w2d25iskkwt

It is very beautiful to hear the women sing in unison.



Yesterday, I was invited to temple with my new friend Punam Raval. She and her family are from the state of Gujurat, which is just above Maharashtra. The walk was not far from the town, about 15 minutes or so, just off the highway. Yes, we walked along a highway.


As we got closer and closer to the temple, I noticed how quiet our surroundings became. There was only the sound of birds chirping, trees swaying, and our chopped up Marathi/English voices.



When we arrived at the temple, I was stopped in my tracks, mainly because I was hesitant to enter as I am not Hindu. I had no intentions to intrude, but Punam insisted and ensured me that I could take photographs. We took off our shoes (instantly, I stepped in bird shit :) and I followed her around the temple as she said her prayers.



The sounds and smells of the temple complimented and overlapped one another. Flowers and fruits were either lying scattered on the ground or piled together with incense burning. Puja, as this is called, or a symbolic offering.




What struck me the most was the inner shrine. I was definitely cautious of entering this since I was totally an 'outsider' and had no idea of the customs and practices. Punam, again led me in with her. As she placed the bindu (red powder dot) upon my forehead, I listened to the echoing sounds of the mantras. Being someone who is not religious, and who has no interest in practicing one, I found myself very honored and grateful for having this opportunity to see a religious custom. It allowed me to remind myself that I can respect religion and the people who practice even though I choose not to follow.




1 comment:

  1. "Being someone who is not religious, and who has no interest in practicing one, I found myself very honored and grateful for having this opportunity to see a religious custom. It allowed me to remind myself that I can respect religion and the people who practice even though I choose not to follow." I love this! I think those of us who do not consider ourselves religious need to remember this very thing. :) So awesome you got to go there. I was curious about the photos too. My sister tried to take pictures of a temple in China and the police stopped her! Cyndi

    ReplyDelete